(Feb. 24, 2021)- Public Health has confirmed two new positive cases of COVID-19 in Las Animas County and six new additional COVID-19 cases in Huerfano County. As of today, Huerfano County has a total case count of 319 with eight active cases and 18 deaths. Las Animas County has a total case count of 1,003 with 34 active cases and 11 deaths.
The two cases in Las Animas County include individuals in their 20s and 60s.
The six cases in Huerfano County include juveniles and individuals ranging up to their 70s. Public health nurses are continuing case investigations and are notifying those in close contact.
Spring Break and summer vacation are approaching and, while Las Animas and Huerfano are making inroads in stopping the spread of COVID-19, travel can increase your chances of getting and spreading COVID-19. Here are some quick tips to stay safe:
- Wear a mask and consider double masking
- Wear a mask with a nose wire.
- Use a mask with a fitter or brace.
- Make sure your mask fits snugly.
- If you wear a double mask, use a cloth mask with multiple layers or a disposable mask under a cloth mask.
- Don’t wear two disposable masks
- Wash your hands often with soap and water
- When indoors, improve ventilation by opening windows and doors or by placing central air andheating on continuous circulation.
- Weigh the risk of activities and remember that outdoor activities are preferable to indoor activities.
- Keep your travel partners limited to those you already live with.
FREE COVID-19 Drive Thru Community Testing will be available in Las Animas County, Feb. 24, 25 and 26 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Las Animas County Justice Center.